On Campus

College dorms and apartments

All the six UCSD colleges have dorms and apartments for their students. In particular, on campus housing is guaranteed for first and second year students. Other students, and international students, can enter a wait list after the application period is closed. Contracts for in campus housing (except for ihouse) are annual so students that need housing for just one or two quarters should look for off campus housing or try to apply for ihouse.

As UCSD is lacking in housing space and can barely give housing to first and second year students, there is actually no hope for international students to get accepted in college dorms or apartments. Moreover, it probably wouldn't be the solution you're looking for, as you will be provided of a room (usually to share with other students) and some small common spaces (a kitchenette for example). It is usually difficult to cook or study or relax in these spaces, you would be forced to go to the dining commons and study lounges. It is usually a solution that American students accept only for a couple of years.

If you want to apply, you have to follow this link. It can be a good idea to apply anyway, even if you already applied for Ihouse, because being accepted in Ihouse is very competitive and you may want to keep this option as a backup.

International House


International House
UCSD, 9500 Gilman Drive, 0550
La Jolla, CA 92093-0550
Phone: (858) 822-1791 or (858) 822-2215
Fax: (858) 534-0550
Email: ihouse@ucsd.edu
IHouse website

The only choice for EAP students that want to live on campus is the International House. It is actually one of the best places to spend you EAP experience and you will probably hear enthusiastic opinion by ex-ihousers.

In each Ihouse apartment there is a mix of four or five international and American students sharing a four-bedroom/one-bath furnished apartment with kitchen, dining area and living room. Students assigned to any undergraduate college may live in I-House.

Any on campus housing contract includes a meal plan. The standard plan amounts to 1800 USD for the whole year and this dining dollars can be spent in all the dining commons available on campus and at Earl's Place, a minimarket in Warren College. They cannot be converted in money.

Application procedure

Contract and Payment

Once you receive a notification of acceptance, you'll be requested to

  • send the signed contract
  • attach a 500 USD payment

Unfortunately there are no easy way to send the contract and pay this first amount for international students.
The only option is to pay by check and send the check together with the contract my courier (the deadline is too short to use regular mail, generally). This is expensive and complex, but at this moment it's the only available choice (the other option is drop everything off at the International House office).

To pay by check you have to go to your own bank and explain your situation. You cannot pay by check in your currency, you have to make a check in US dollars and through an American bank (technically, it has to be a check or money order drawn on a U.S. bank). Usually foreign banks have some partner in the US, so they can issue the check for you. It can require some days and it costs about 20 USD. They usually offer to send the check for you, but as you have to attach it to the contract, you'd better take it and mail by your own.
Remember to specify in the check the reason of the payment (there is a field for that). You have only to write down your PID, it's written in the instructions you receive from Ihouse.

To send the contract and the check to Ihouse, you can choose between one of the many couriers that offer this service. Some are cheaper, some are more expensive. It's of course cheaper if you go to a distribution center where they collect the mail to be sent (like MBE - Mail Boxes Etc. ) than if you have the courier to come and pick your letter (is what UPS, Fedex, DHL, TNT, etc. usually but not always offer).
You can try to check if there are regular mail options available, just remember that it's important that it arrives on time (it has to arrive to Ihouse by the deadline, no matter what the shipping date is) and the it is not lost (it can be a difficult process to cancel the check).

Once you get to UCSD, all the other payments are directly billed to your Tritonlink account. You can pay monthly, quarterly or yearly. Pending bills have to be payed to the Cashier office by cash or check.

Rules and Policies

Here is an extract of rules and policies that are campus-wide valid, not only in Ihouse. You will receive the full list of rules in your contract.

UCSD is an academically rigorous institution, and living on campus supports students' academic goals while also providing convenience and a social atmosphere. In order to ensure that everyone has an equal opportunity to achieve academic success, all residents are expected to adhere to some basic community guidelines:

  • California State Law and University policy prohibiting the consumption of alcohol for persons under the age of 21 is strictly enforced. Students over the age of 21 may consume alcohol in "private" living areas (i.e., in apartments and bedrooms, but not in public lounges, outdoors, on apartment balconies, etc.). Large volumes of alcohol (kegs, party balls, etc.) are strictly prohibited in residential facilities.
  • UCSD has been designated a non-smoking campus. Smoking is prohibited in all residential facilities.
  • To ensure an environment conducive to studying, quiet hours are observed on weekdays after 11:00 p.m. and on weekends after 1:00 a.m.

Arriving and checking in

During your stay

Events and Activities


Sunday Suppers

Leaving and checking out

Add a New Comment
or Sign in as Wikidot user
(will not be published)
- +
Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License